With careful planning, supporters of Portsmouth Abbey School can put the tax code to work for themselves and the School to make gifts with more impact than they ever thought possible. And these opportunities to leave a permanent legacy are available to everyone.
The simplest example is using appreciated stock held for more than a year to make a gift rather than selling the stock, paying capital gains, and then making a gift with the remaining proceeds.
Where can my gift go?
Where can my gift go?
- Unrestricted Gifts enable the Board of Regents to utilize income, and potentially principal, wherever it is most needed
- Scholarship Funds enable the School to continue to offer financial aid to more than 35% of its student body whose families want their children receive a Portsmouth education but lack all of the necessary financial resources
- Faculty Resources like endowed chairs and funds for professional development, departmental resources, and faculty salaries help the School to attract and retain the best educators.
- Student Resource funds for specific purposes like athletics, library resources, lectures, community service, spiritual life, prizes, and more enhance the shared experience of community life on Cory's Lane
- Capital Projects provide the resources to maintain and grow the campus and nurture our programming over the long term
How can I make a Planned Gift?
- Naming Portsmouth Abbey in a will or trust, or naming the School as a beneficiary of an investment account, enables you to know that you will leave a legacy of helping young men and women to grow in knowledge and grace without sacrificing current income
- Lifetime income producing gifts like Charitable Gift Annuities or Charitable Remainder Trusts are well suited for individuals interested in leaving their mark on the School, but require income for their lifetime or the life of a loved one
- Individuals aged 72 (70 ½ if you reach 70 ½ before January 1, 2020) and older facing required minimum distributions from an IRA may be interested in making Qualified Charitable Distributions
- There are a myriad of other strategies which are possible and we would be happy to discuss them with you and your tax and estate planning experts
To discuss Planned Giving giving opportunities at Portsmouth Abbey School, please contact Director of Advancement Patty Gibbons at .
HALL MANOR SOCIETY
The Manor House, the School’s first building, was originally called “Hall Manor.” The Hall Manor Society honors all individuals who have included the School in their estate plans, made a planned gift, or established an endowed fund. These gifts can have numerous financial planning benefits while creating a legacy for each donor and support the Mission of Portsmouth Abbey School.
If you have included the School in your estate plan or would like to discuss a planned gift or establishing an endowed fund, please contact Director of Advancement Patty Gibbons at .